Showing support for your child’s school and educational experience matters. But does that mean we all have to chaperone field trips and join the PTA? Meagan and Sarah say, rather emphatically, nope.
In Episode 21 we tackle eight myths surrounding what it means to be a “good school mom,” and help debunk those myths for those of you new to the school parenting journey. We also talk about the meaningful ways we have found to volunteer or participate at school, and share some advice from teachers that might surprise you.
Before we tackled our topic, we invited you to connect with us on social media! Here are all the handy links, all in one place:
- The Mom Hour on Facebook
- @TheMomHour on Twitter (also follow us personally @MeaganFrancis and @PowersOfMine)
- @TheMomHour on Instagram (also follow us personally @MeaganFrancis and @PowersOfMine)
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subscribe in iTunes at bit.ly/themomhour or on Stitcher
- Finally, be sure to tag us and/or use #TheMomHour in any social posts about our show so we can find them and thank you!
Links we mentioned (or should have!) in Episode 21:
- 7 “Good School Mom” Myths, Debunked! (Meagan for The Happiest Home)
- Hilariously Honest PTA Form Goes Viral (The Huffington Post)
- Sometimes Good Moms Miss The Class Party (Allison Slater Tate)
- 6 Themed Dress-Up Days This Mom Can Totally Get Behind (Sarah for Scary Mommy)
- The Parent-Teacher Relationship (Meagan’s interview with teacher and author Erica Ladd)
- Laura Fuentes’s lunch-packing resource Momables.com, and Meagan’s interview with Laura on the same topics
- Edit Your Life Episode 4: School Lunch Solutions (great ideas from our friends Asha and Christine)
- Meagan’s active wear obsession: Fabletics