Grab a warm beverage and settle in for an end-of-year books chat! Meagan and Sarah look back over our reading in 2023 to share what we’ve read, what stuck with us, and how our reading habits have continued to evolve. Meagan also shares an update about Paper Mill Books, the independent bookstore in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan that she helped open earlier this year. Join us – you may just find a new book or two to throw on your TBR pile for 2024!
- Meagan opened a bookstore in July 2023.
- Episodes from the archives about books and reading
- Sarah uses Goodreads to keep track of the books she reads (we hear great things about and The StoryGraph, too!)
- Sarah mentioned:
- Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver (highly recommend this interview with Kingsolver on The Ezra Klein Show after you finish the book!)
- Honor by Thrity Umrigar (Sarah previously loved The Space Between Us by the same author)
- We All Want Impossible Things by Catherine Newman (whose writing on Substack is delightful and who IS, technically, our friend)
- The Emotional Lives Of Teenagers by Dr. Lisa Damour (catch Dr. Damour’s chat with Meagan in this episode, and check out her podcast here)
- Meagan’s List of Books:
- Once Upon A River by Bonnie Jo Campbell
- Unraveling What I Learned About Life While Shearing Sheep, Dyeing Wool, and Making the World’s Ugliest Sweater by Peggy Orenstein
- Hey, Hun: Sales, Sisterhood, Supremacy And The Other Lies Behind Multilevel Marketing by Emily Paulson
- Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson
- Books We Have On Deck for 2024:
- Meagan’s hosting a book club in her private community The Tea Circle. In 2024, they are reading The Comfort of Crows by Margaret Renkl.