We love books, and we hope our kids grow up to love them too…but how do we get there? Meagan and Sarah break down the ways we encourage literacy and a love of reading in our homes–without piling on the pressure. We talk about reading aloud, reading for homework, encouraging reluctant readers, and modeling a book-loving life as adults.
PLUS Katie Addiss joins Sarah for a fun segment all about holiday picture books! We share some favorites for babies through big kids–just in time for the coziest reading season!
Sponsor Spotlight: Prep Dish
Prep Dish is a healthy subscription-based meal planning service designed to help you shop once, prep once, and enjoy wholesome, delicious meals that come together in minutes all week long. Sign up at PrepDish.com/themomhour to get your first 2 weeks FREE.
Sponsor Spotlight: ActionHeat
ActionHeat makes the world’s best heated clothing, powered by rechargeable batteries. It’s the perfect solution to keep you toasty and warm, even in the most frigid winter weather. Save 20% off your entire order of heated products for men and women when you order at action-heat.com/mom, or use the coupon code MOM at checkout to save 20%!
Sponsor Spotlight: Riley Home & Riley Junior
Riley is the first name in luxury and quality bed and bath linens, and their new baby and kid collection, Riley Jr., just launched with adorable duvet covers, baby blankets, monogrammed gifts, and more. Check out the Riley Jr. collection, exclusively at rileyhome.com, and save 25% on your order with promo code THEMOMHOUR.
Links we mentioned (or should have) in Episode 186:
- Sarah and Katie’s full list of holiday books is here
- Meagan’s appearance on the Read-Aloud Revival podcast: RAR #34: Reading Aloud around a Traditional School Schedule, and RAR host Sarah Mackenzie’s appearance on Meagan’s podcast The Home Hour in 2014
- Magazines Sarah loves include ASK and Muse from Cricket Media, Highlights High Five, and National Geographic Kids
- Sarah loves the book lists at What Do We Do All Day?, and specifically mentioned these three in her segment with Katie:
- Meagan mentioned these books (affiliate links):
- Other episodes you might enjoy:
Sponsor Shout-Out: Sudio makes beautiful headphones and ear buds. Save 15% with promo code THEMOMHOUR15 when you shop sudiosweden.com.
Brittany S. says
Thank you so much for this episode. It really eased my mind. I have wonder and stressed if my child was reading enough because the teacher said read every night. You all gave me permission to give myself grace and to give her grace as well.
Sarah Powers says
Thank you, Brittany! That was our hope. Happy Holidays!