Whether you’re more structured like Sarah or intuitive like Meagan, your parenting decisions around screen media will likely evolve as kids get older, new tech emerges, and expert recommendations shift again (and again). Here’s a look at how our own feelings and approaches to screen time have changed over the years–and how you can lose the guilt and accept the journey for your own family. Join us!
Take Our Listener Survey!
Your input helps us improve the show. Thanks! (If you don’t see the button above, try this link: http://themomhour.com/survey.)
Sponsor Spotlight: Greenerways Organic
Greenerways Organic produces the best, USDA Certified Organic insect repellents and cleaning products on the market. Made in the U.S., all of the products are essential oil-based, Deet-Free, Lab-Tested, safe for the environment, and very affordable. Head to Amazon.com and search “Greenerways Organic”.
Sponsor Spotlight: Hello Fresh
HelloFresh is a meal kit delivery service that shops, plans, and delivers your favorite step-by-step recipes and pre-measured ingredients so you can just cook, eat, and enjoy. Get $80 off your first month of Hello Fresh meals with promo code THEMOMHOUR80 when you sign up at hellofresh.com/themomhour80.
Partner Offer: FREE Photo Book From Chatbooks
We have a gift for YOU: A FREE photo book from Chatbooks–no strings attached! Just download the Chatbooks app or create an account at Chatbooks.com. Use promo code THEMOMHOUR at checkout to get your 30-page soft-cover photo book at no cost (upgrades and shipping may apply; if you decide to make your book longer or add other upgrades, you’ll still get $10 off your total).
Links we mentioned (or should have) in Episode 209:
- Cool Mom Tech, from the ladies of CoolMomPicks.com, always has great app roundups
- The CMP ladies are also behind the Facebook group Out Tech Your Kids, where Sarah lurks to get a sneak peek at the screen time issues facing parents of tweens and teens
- Although much of the info is dated now, Sarah loves the book The Case for Make-Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World by Susan Linn (affiliate link)
- Sarah also loves The Importance of Being Little: What Young Children Really Need From Grownups by Erika Christakis (affiliate link)
- Voices Episode 13: Becoming Screenwise with Devorah Heitner
- Devorah Heitner’s book Screenwise: Helping Kids Thrive (and Survive) in Their Digital World (affiliate link)
Queue It Up!
Featured podcast we think is worth checking out:
Every week, professional cooks Stacie and Meghan get real about feeding kids, tweens, and teens. From How to Turn Nachos Into a Family Dinner to Solving the After School Snack Problem, they chat with expert guests and everyday moms, on a mission to make cooking easier, more delicious, and maybe even fun. Available on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play and wherever you get your favorite podcasts.