Summer 2020 isn’t going to be like any other summer in our memories–and it’s not going to look like whatever we’d dreamed up in midwinter before the pandemic hit. Still, Meagan and Sarah have ideas for how we’d like to set up ourselves and our families for healthy routines, regular self care, and (is it possible?) even some fun outings this summer. Join us for a look ahead at the next few months as we set our realistic intentions for summer 2020.
This episode was recorded on May 31, 2020.
A NOTE ON EPISODES RELEASED DURING COVID-19: Things change so quickly these days–including recommendations for health and safety, as well as our own thoughts and feelings–so you may hear things that feel a bit dated if you’re catching up on older episodes. Just know that we’re experiencing this in real time just like you, and that we’re working hard to follow the latest recommendations for the safety of our families and our communities. We’re also working hard to bring you timely, relevant podcast episodes in a world that’s changing very quickly.
Sponsor Spotlight: Goodnight Stories For Rebel Girls
Rebel Girls is a fairytale podcast for kids about extraordinary women from all over the world. We love the episodes about Ada Lovelace and Junko Tabei. To inspire the Rebel Girl in your life, find Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls on your favorite podcast player.
Sponsor Spotlight: Breyers® CarbSmart
Breyers® CarbSmart is a line of sweet treats with 3-5 grams net carbs per serving. They’ve got tubs and bars in yummy flavors like caramel swirl, chocolate covered almond, vanilla, and peanut butter. Try Breyers® CarbSmart for your next sweet-tooth craving; available at all major retailers.
Sponsor Spotlight: DRMTLGY
DRMTLGY focuses in on creating high-end skin care using the purest, safest, most clinically-proven active ingredients available. Mom Hour listeners get access to an exclusive kit, dermatologist recommended and clinically proven to prevent signs of aging. Go to themomhour.com/skincare to check out DRMTLGY’s special offer for our listeners
Partner Offer: Shoot Along Camera Classes for Moms
Shoot Along is an online photography course for moms who want to learn how to use their DSLR camera. Shoot Along is offering two different online courses that you do completely on your own time at your own pace–Camera Express and Editing Express. Head to ShootAlong.com/themomhour to get Camera Express and Editing Express bundled together for just $39.99.
Links we mentioned (or should have) in Episode 263:
- We are both reading and thinking a lot lately about how to use our voices to be an ally for people of color. Here are just a few resources we’ve found helpful:
- Instagram accounts: @blackcoffeewithwhitefriends @beabridgebuilder @hereweeread @thegreatunlearn @theconsciouskid @callmedoctor_t @parentingwhileblk @beingblackatschool @ijeomaoluo @mireillecharper
- Book lists and resource roundups:
- PICTURE BOOKS THAT TEACH KIDS TO COMBAT RACISM
- You believe that Black Lives Matter. You are non-Black. You don’t know what to say or do. So start here. (Cool Mom Picks)
- This blog post from Karen Walrond’s Chookooloonks has books, documentaries, IG follows, and more
- MOVING FROM OUTRAGE TO ACTION: TALKING RACIAL JUSTICE WITH LATASHA MORRISON (Selfie Podcast)
- How White Parents Can Use Media to Raise Anti-Racist Kids (Commonsense.org)
- Meagan mentioned our episode Two White Moms Talk Awkwardly About Race (Episode 9 from June 2015)
- Meagan’s time blocking calendar was based on this post from Diane Kinney
- Leave us a comment on Instagram or in our Facebook group , or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org