From helping a toddler adjust to a new baby, to coping with bickering, to creating a family culture that honors both individual kids and sibling relationships, parenting siblings is no small task. Join us for Episode 29 of The Mom Hour, where we get real about the dynamics among our own kids and share thoughts on raising siblings who like each other (well, most of the time).
- Peaceful Parents, Happy Siblings (Dr. Laura Markham)
- Episode 6 of The Home Hour, where Meagan interviews Heather Shumaker, author of It’s OK Not to Share and Other Renegade Rules for Raising Competent and Compassionate Kids
- Happy Families Have Stories – Meagan’s post in response to the New York Times article by Bruce Feiler, “The Stories That Bind Us”
- My Kids Like Each Other…And That’s Enough (Meagan for The Happiest Home)
- Paper Swimsuits And The Stories They Tell (Meagan for The Happiest Home)
- Cuisinart CSB-79 Smart Stick 2-Speed 200-watt Immersion wired Hand Blender with Attachments
- Kitsch’n Glam aprons, like this one
- Wine Enthusiast 3-Pack Wine Glass Writer Metallic Pen
MORE HELPFUL LINKS:
- Visit our website
- Check out deals from our partners
- Follow us on Instagram
- Join our private listener group on Facebook (be sure to answer the membership questions!)
- Sign up for our newsletter
Sandra Azar says
i have one and half year old kid as well as ten year old step son. still they are good siblings. it was not really an easy task. hope your article will be conducive for me. thanks.
vivid baby says
Great post. It gives me a lot of useful information
Krista Loreen says
I have two siblings, one is 5 years older and it wasn’t until we were both adults that we really connected. It’s nice knowing I’m not the only one who aims for mediation between my 4 and 2 yr olds, but can still get caught up in intervention case by case. Teach Your Children Well by Madeline Levine has two great chapters on coping skills in children. I struggle with teaching my kids empathy towards each other amongst the sibling rivalry, they are still young and I have to remind myself they have a ways to grow in their emotional maturity. Best I can do while they’re so young is to model it myself. Thanks for the great discussion!
Lucky Kabir says
I have two daughters. One of them is 13 and another one is 9. The elder one just so much cares for her sister. And both of them remains busy inbetween for all the time. 🙂
Great info. Thanks for your share.
I have 2 babies. Boy and girl.
Thank you meagan and Sarah. This episode provide value for a lot of us.
I have often found your episodes to be nice and well planned with lots of details for parents. Kudos to both of you for doing a great job.
Solas Dalia says
Thank you for bringing this episode to live. It’s really useful. It’s not easy to raise two siblings who like each other but I’ve found that being complacent and persistent at the same time can help one to manage all through the period of raising them.