Are you an aspiring writer? Curious about getting published? Interested in what’s involved in a freelance writing career? In Episode 84 of The Mom Hour, Meagan and Sarah take a question from listener Mairin and share our own experiences on getting published in magazines and online over the last several years. Enjoy!
- Submit a question like Mairin did using Speakpipe at speakpipe.com/themomhour – it’s fun and it makes our day!
- Online and print publications that accept submissions from freelancers (this is not a complete list and we know there are others out there, so chime in in the comments if you know of others!)
- Scary Mommy
- Brain, Child (linking to Brain, Child’s writer’s guidelines, but they do have a note saying they are not currently accepting submissions – this could always change)
- Coffee + Crumbs (C+C also says they’re not currently accepting submissions but this may change)
- On Parenting from The Washington Post
- Local moms blogs like the ones run by City Moms Blog Network are often very welcoming to new writers (find out here if there’s one in a city near you)
- How To Start A Freelance Writing Career – Our friend and colleague Chaunie Brusié was one of Meagan’s students several years ago and has since built a successful full-time, at-home writing career while raising four young kids. This is her virtual writing class, which can be taken anytime, on your own time. UPDATE! Chaunie graciously offered $50 off her course for listeners of The Mom Hour. Just use code themomhour at checkout. Thanks, Chaunie!
- #AmWriting with Jess & KJ – Sarah loves this podcast about full-time professional writing. Even if you’re just an aspiring writer, we think you’ll love Jess and KJ’s helpful, generous style. A few episodes for new writers:
- Meagan and Sarah both appeared on the Sarah R. Bagley podcast recently, talking about our own roads to freelance writing and professional blogging. Listen to Sarah’s interview here, and Meagan’s here.
MORE HELPFUL LINKS:
- Visit our website
- Check out deals from our partners
- Follow us on Instagram
- Join our private listener group on Facebook (be sure to answer the membership questions!)
- Sign up for our newsletter
Emily at The We Files says
Awesome! I’m in the thick of this now. I am coming up on my one year anniversary of blogging and I am beginning to share my work on other sites. I’m always learning trying new things. Thank you for the resources!
Sarah Powers says
Emily, so glad you enjoyed! Definitely check out those resources – we think they’re great! Good luck!