Whether you’re expecting a new baby or love showering friends with thoughtful baby gifts, this episode is for you. Meagan and Sarah enlist the help of some savvy new moms to get the latest product must-haves, plus rely on our own experience and the benefit of hindsight to dissect what’s really essential, what you can probably pass on, and which gifts go the distance. Join us!
All the product links are in their own lists below. Special thanks to our own Katie Addiss and the awesome focus group of new moms from Denver and Minneapolis for their contributions and ideas!
- Struggles, Successes & Discoveries (Episode 133 that contains the lengthy discussion about cleaning humidifiers)
- Gift Ideas For Babies, Toddlers & Little Kids (one of our holiday gift guide episodes that contains more great gift ideas for new babies, including some of our favorite books and toys for baby’s first year)
Baby Shower Gift Ideas
Amazon links are affiliates. That means if you click through and make a purchase you’ll be helping support The Mom Hour at no additional cost to you. Thank you for helping us continue to produce the podcast!
Go-to gifts from moms who know what’s up:
- All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon – Sarah’s new favorite book to give as a new baby gift
- Zutano Cozie Fleece Baby Booties With Grippers
- Soft moccasins for pre-walkers, like any made by Robeez or these from Minnetonka
- We both love Tea Collection for their soft cotton play clothes and jammies
- Boppy Newborn Lounger
- Leachco Podster Sling-Style Infant Seat Lounger
- Boppy Nursing Pillow and Positioner
- Magnificent Baby Unisex Newborn Footie
- A pretty Chewbeads Necklace for mom
- Fisher-Price Deluxe Rock ‘n Play Sleeper
- Skip Hop 3-Stage Activity Center
- Little Giraffe Luxe Blanket
- Fisher-Price Bath Tub
- WubbaNub Infant Pacifier
Gifts and gadgets we scoffed at until we realized they really ARE that great:
- Fridababy NoseFrida Nasal Aspirator (aka “the snotsucker”)
- Windi the Gaspasser by Fridababy
- Burp cloths shaped to stay on your shoulder, like these
- Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on baby cribs, car seats, strollers, high chairs and much, much more! (recommended for moms who want to sort through what’s worth the extra money and what you can go cheaper on)
- Working moms in our focus group recommend registering for a LOT of pumping storage bags because you’ll go through them faster than you think!
- Fisher-Price 4-in-1 Sling N Seat Tub (because bathing baby in a sink is harder than you think!)
- Keekaroo Peanut Changer (so you never have to wash changing pad covers again)
- Katie’s new favorite humidifier is this one: Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Supposed “essentials” that some of us found over-rated (and others did not!)
- Teeny tiny newborn-sized dresses for baby girls
- Impractical shoes for babies who can’t walk
- Expensive sound machines (that’s what electric fans are for!)
- Co-sleeper bassinets, or any pricey one-purpose place for baby to sleep
- Super adorable but not-super-necessary diaper stackers, like this one
MORE HELPFUL LINKS:
- Visit our website
- Check out deals from our partners
- Follow us on Instagram
- Join our private listener group on Facebook (be sure to answer the membership questions!)
- Sign up for our newsletter
Hi ladies! I’m an American living in Sweden. I love your podcast! My daughter is 20 months and the windii saved my life so many times when she was a newborn. I think it actually is a Swedish invention, as are all the nose frida products. It helped when my daughter had to pass gas but also sometimes a bunch of poop would come out too, haha. So watch out! But afterwards my daughter was always so much calmer. Buy a bunch of those!
Shannon Allen says
Hi Ladies. Looooove listening in every week to get my mom-fix!
I could have sworn on this episode that y’all talked about a great umbrella stroller? I’m not able to find anything in reference to it on your site. Can you link me your recommendation for the umbrella stroller of your liking?
Sarah Powers says
Hi Shannon! Meagan did talk about going with a slightly more upscale umbrella stroller after trying a bunch of cheap ones. I think the reason we didn’t link it up is that it’s been almost a decade since that purchase! It was a MacLaren, probably similar to this one (affiliate link): https://amzn.to/2LDFBRh, but we’re a little out of the stroller game these days so I’m sure you’ll find other great ones out there as well. Thanks for commenting!