How does birth order – both our own and our children’s – affect how we relate to our kids? Do stereotypes like the bossy oldest, peacemaking middle and freewheeling youngest hold up, in our experience? What do we remember about our role as oldest (Sarah) and youngest (Meagan) and how does that influence our mothering? We tackle these questions and more in Episode 40 – all about birth order. If you’re fascinated by family dynamics, pop psychology, and the human experience, we think you’ll love this show!
- These playing card holders that help little gamers hide their hand (Amazon)
- Meagan’s sister Kathreen’s appearances on The Home Hour – Fabulous Food From Children’s Literature and Growing Up Theatrical
- Raising Siblings Who Like Each Other (Episode 29 of The Mom Hour)
- Our listeners’ feedback on growing up as a middle child from The Mom Hour Facebook page
- Is Birth Order Destiny? (Psychology Today)
- This series on supporting oldest, middle, and youngest children from Aha! Parenting: Supporting Your Oldest Child, Preventing Middle Child Syndrome, Supporting Your Youngest Child (Dr. Laura Markham)