“Mom, is Santa Jesus’s grandpa?” If you’ve found yourself in the (somehow surprising?) position of Adult In Charge Of The Holidays, you too might be on the receiving end of kids’ questions about what’s going on, exactly, with all these rituals and traditions. The answers don’t always come easy, because even as adults it’s not always obvious how (or whether) to carry our own family of origin’s traditions into a new generation, how to merge faiths and cultures with our partners, and how to explain it all meaningfully to our kids.
In today’s Voices episode, Sarah chats with three members of The Mom Hour team about bringing traditions forward from the past, creating new ones that feel right for right now, and navigating interfaith and intercultural dynamics. It’s a vulnerable, nuanced, and sometimes funny topic, and while we don’t pretend to have every aspect represented or covered today, we invite you to join us as we learn a little from one another!
About Our Sponsors
Vionic has the most supportive shoes…ever. Their arch support technology is designed for all-day wear, so that your feet can be comfortable no matter where you are going.
Go to vionicshoes.com/themomhour for free shipping.
Pinna is the only audio on-demand streaming service for kids 3-12, with podcasts, audiobooks, and music all in one safe place with no ads, and no staring at a screen. Just listening.
Go to pinna.fm/promo and use the promo code THEMOMHOUR for 50% off your first annual payment
Storyworth is an online service that helps you and your loved ones connect through sharing stories and memories – and preserves them for years to come.
Save $10 on your first purchase when you go to storyworth.com/momhour
KiwiCo delivers monthly science and art projects that celebrate kids’ natural curiosity. With KiwiCo, kids get to explore different topics each month, from rainbows to rocket ships and everything in between!
Get 50% off your first month plus FREE shipping on ANY crate line with code THEMOMHOUR at kiwico.com
Links We Mentioned (Or Should Have) In This Episode
- We have Gift Guides for just about anyone on our Blog this holiday season!
- Meet our contributors featured in this episode: Catie Parrish, Joanne Ruelos Diaz and Katherine DeVries.
- Catie is a devout coffee drinker. She loves to ground EightO’Clock coffee beans each morning.
- Joanne shared how much she loves genmaicha tea! Here’s another link to one of her favorites.
- Catie shared how she incorporates activities in her home throughout the holidays including the Catholic traditions: The Advent Wreath and St. Nicholas Day.
- Katherine and Sarah both recommend attending The Winter Fantasy Sawdust Festival if you live in Southern California
- Katherine suggests checking out this kid-friendly, jewish recipe website for all your holiday baking and cooking needs.
- Catie likes to incorporate this Chocolate Mousse and this Polish Cookie into her family holiday traditions.
- Joanne’s family and friends Eat 12 Grapes for good luck at midnight to ring in the New Year.
- Sarah’s family searches for the almond in this Danish Almond Rice Pudding recipe every year on Christmas Eve!
Continue the conversation:
Instagram | Private Facebook Community (be sure to answer the membership questions!)
Leave a Reply