Boxes, bags, and bentos–here we go, friends. We’re talking lunch-packing on this week’s episode of The Mom Hour. From the gear we love (or like well-enough), to the stuff we pack (no, it’s not pretty or perfect), to when and how we get lunches packed (and unpacked…ew), today’s episode is FULL of tips and stories to encourage you this school year. PLUS Sarah is joined by our newest new-mom contributor Alison Thompson at the end of the show. Check it out!
- Episode 151: Feeding A Family (Breakfast & Lunch)
- Laura Fuentes / Momables.com
- The Girl Next Door podcast episode about Home Efficiency, and Erica’s Instagram post about freezing sandwiches
- Meagan’s Lunch Box Challenge series on The Happiest Home (from 2011): Intro, Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4
- Alison Thompson co-hosts the Crunchy Cocktail Hour podcast in our Life, Listened network
- Meagan got the Classmate Printed Soft Sided Lunch Box from Lands’ End
- Sarah uses the Mackenzie Collection Classic Lunch Bags from Pottery Barn Kids and the Classic lunch bags from Pottery Barn Teen (slightly deeper but otherwise similar style)
- Pottery Barn Kids Spencer Bento Box
- Easy Lunch Boxes Bento Lunch Box Containers
- Rubbermaid LunchBlox Kids Flat Lunch Kit
- CVS Health Peas Hot or Cold Therapy Pack
- Fit & Fresh Cool Coolers Slim Reusable Ice Packs
- Sarah has this Thermos brand Funtainer and Meagan’s teens have larger thermoses like this one
- Sarah sends inexpensive stainless steel demitasse spoons like these to school for yogurt
- Meagan used the SCOUT Divide & Conquer Open-top Storage Bin on top of her fridge for school snacks for years
MORE HELPFUL LINKS:
- Visit our website
- Check out deals from our partners
- Follow us on Instagram
- Join our private listener group on Facebook (be sure to answer the membership questions!)
- Sign up for our newsletter
I’ve been having problems with your Mom Hour podcast episodes downloading lately. Have you heard from others on this? Are there any tricks to fix it? Thank uou’
Hi Becky! Can you let me know what podcast app (like Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, etc.) you’re using, and on what kind of device? I haven’t heard from anybody else but I’m happy to look into it for you!
Courtney Fox says
Love listening to your podcast! I am a new mom. My daughter, Clara, is 8 months old. Do you have any suggestions on episodes that would really speak to me? I’m hardcore in the trenches- crawling, teething, crib-training, daycare, working full time…you get the picture! Haha Thanks girls!
Sarah Powers says
Hi Courtney! Sorry for the delay on this! (Also Meagan has a Clara, too!) The best place to start is this page: http://themomhour.com/mom-hour-new-listeners/. We list episodes by category, including new moms, all moms, working moms, etc. Let us know if this helps!
Loved this episode- I’m trying to figure out how to shift more of the lunch making responsibilities to my first grader. His fifth grader sister has got it down! I would love any advice on that.
Also, years ago, Meagan mentioned that she kept all of her lunch making items in one drawer. That was a game changer for me!
We love the Sistema Twist N Sip water bottles. They are the right size to fit in the lands end lunch boxes and they don’t leak.