It’s been a rough few weeks and we want to talk about it. Join Meagan and Sarah for an honest discussion about how we manage our media intake when the headlines are heartbreaking, how to identify the feelings that come up when we’re triggered in some way by the news, and how to help when we feel totally helpless.
This episode was inspired in part by fellow podcasters Asha and Christine of the Edit Your Life show, Kristen and Liz of Spawned, and Sarah and Kristen of Selfie, all of whom have tackled tough subjects related to the news in recent episodes.
- Edit Your Life Show Ep97: Moving Forward Under Stress
- Spawned Ep89: Harvey Weinstein and Sexual Harassment
- Selfie Ep03: Self-Care in the Face of Tragedy
- Karen Walrond of the Make Light podcast, who continues to bring light and even humor to the very personal issue of her family’s Harvey loss (here’s her Harvey story on the podcast)
- Other episodes of The Mom Hour on related topics:
- Your Media Diet: Is it Healthy? (Episode 03)
- Talking To Kids About Tragic Events (Sarah’s interview with Dr. Jennifer Freed)
- Motherhood, Politics & Nuance (Sarah’s interview with Sarah Stewart Holland)
- Self Care as Self Preservation (Episode 104)
- Radical Self Care & Cultivating Creativity (Sarah’s interview with Doña Bumgarner)
- Sarah mentioned the always-helpful “ways to help” posts from Cool Mom Picks, like this one about Puerto Rico relief efforts
- NPR’s Up First podcast