What are Meagan and Sarah’s best tips for getting kids started with their first phone? And with a new school year right around the corner, a mom asks how to prepare her child for the first day of kindergarten and looks for some fun traditions to help celebrate back to school. The “bigger kids, bigger problems” stage arrives early for one listener’s family, and she looks for strategies for maintaining her mental health and other relationships while they navigate tough times. Lastly, a mom of bickering siblings sets us up for a lively discussion about whether it’s mom’s job to prevent kids developing a complex or identity stemming from their birth order and sibling roles. In addition to our own thoughts, we tap the wisdom of our contributors as we tackle your listener questions in Episode 375. Enjoy!
- Sarah will be interviewing Meagan about midlife and reinvention this week on Meagan’s podcast Mother of Reinvention. Check it out as soon as it drops on July 28!
- Our Listener Sheri uses a GABB phone for her 11-year-old’s first go at a cell phone
- In our Glad I Did/Wish I’d Done Tech & Devices Episode, Sarah highlighted some life skills and communication skills her children learned by having their first cell phone.
- Check back next week for more on the first phone topic, when Sarah will be joined by Catherine Pearlman, author of First Phone: A Child’s Guide to Digital Responsibility, Safety, and Etiquette
- For those interested in our past discussions about choosing a school for your kids, check out:
- School Decisions Feel Like a LOT (Here’s What To Keep In Mind)
- What Teachers & Educators Wish Parents Knew About Making School Decisions
- Choosing The Right School (Not As Scary As It Seems)
- For those who want more about sending your kid to Kindergarten, check out:
- What To Expect When Your Child Starts Kindergarten
- Kindergarten Readiness & Parent-Teacher Relationships
- Freaking Out Less About Kindergarten, COVID Learning Loss & Elementary School Academics
- Tips For Starting (Elementary & Middle) School
- House Rules for Sibling Harmony and House Rules For Travel & Vacation include tips and tricks for supporting and fostering healthy sibling relationships.